If you haven’t heard this already, content is king. Well, content is what drives the web at least. In general, the more useful and interesting your content is, the more effective your website will be. Content is what informs people, and search engines, about the purpose of your website and the expertise your company has on a particular subject matter. As such, you would expect companies to place a high emphasis on developing well-written, strategic content for their website.
Unfortunately, many companies, especially smaller businesses, tend to underestimate the power of well-written website copy – almost as if they view text as just something used to fill in the white space between images and other media. In such cases, content tends to be poorly written, full of spelling errors and grammatical mistakes, and it’s simply not compelling (let alone strategic). How then are these websites supposed to be effective at winning over (or even attracting) your target audience? [Yes, this is a rhetorical question.]
If you want to create value and drive traffic to your website – if you want your website to be an effective marketing tool for your business, products or services – you have to place a lot of value on your content. Following the ten tips below is a good starting point:
1. Begin with a plan. Brainstorm, conceptualize, strategize;
2. Keep you target market in mind. Keep the content relevant to them;
3. Write effective headings – with visitors and search engines in mind;
4. Be concise and to the point;
5. Start paragraphs with conclusions, then elaborate;
6. Use action words and calls to action;
7. Avoid using jargon or complex language;
8. Keep content current / fresh;
9. Make your content unique; and finally,
10. If you’re not a good writer, find or hire someone who is.
Welcome to our blog. We will use this space to discuss and promote evolving best practices in the fields of public relations and financial marketing.